RIPPER, BE GONE!

Yes my very own land in this big big world
If you hate it, run along now. If you like it, swing along.
This is my blog on my dear life, touching the pacific in Australia.




ShoutMix chat widget



MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com



|U M M U | O M A | Y A N T I | Y A N T I B L O G | C H E R Y L | A H M U T H A |
|A I L I N G |J A S I M A | M A G G I E | V I C K Y | P I X I E Z |
|Oct'07 Farewell to SPF | Jan '08 Oma, Sri & Ummu | My Wedding |


  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • January 2010


  • free counters

    Thursday, April 23, 2009
    maths? now? me?!

    I got to share this. I came across this story on a famous mathematician, Gauss. To make long story short, when he was very young the teacher asked the class this question:

    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 = ?

    Young Gauss came up in a flash and replied 55. The teacher wondered how he got it so fast. And was even more surprised when she knew how he got it. He found the "normal method" too slow and therefore came up with the following strategy:

    1. 1 + 10 = 11
    2. 2 + 9 = 11
    3. 3 + 8 = 11
    4. 4 + 7 = 11
    5. 5 + 6 = 11
    5 x 11= 55

    There were so many other strategies discussed in a book entitled "Productive Thinking" which I stumbled upon accidentally. I personally prefer anything in the world to mathematics. I struggled to cope with that subject in school. But just reading a chapter out of this very old book intrigued me.

    Would kids who has no interest in maths like me learn and enjoy it better when they are allowed to come up with their own methods to solve the maths problems? The book also had so many other approaches to ordinary mathematics problems like algebra, area of parallelogram and so on. It looks at methods that diverts away from just applying the formulas and practising over and over again to remember to an exploration outlook. And also how this leads to a better and a creative problem solver later in life.

    I don't think its too late for me to pick up 1 or 2 stuff about mathematics right? Might come in handy so I might pick up that book again after my exams.

    Labels: